SafeNet Domestic Abuse and Support Services are hosting a conference to raise awareness of the issues surrounding domestic abuse and encourage men to take action by saying no to male violence against women and girls.
The regional conference – Men Speak Out – will take place on Tuesday 10 March at The Marriott, Preston to coincide with the celebration of International Women’s Day 2020.
The event is designed for agencies, partnerships and businesses, however, is open to anyone who wishes to attend. Together, they will look at the important role of men working together with women to reduce and eliminate domestic violence and abuse.
Anthony Duerden, Chief Executive of The Calico Group and White Ribbon ambassador, will provide the opening speech and key speakers include:
– John Clough MBE – SafeNet Patron and founder of Justice for Jane. Jane’s Place – SafeNet’s recovery refuge for women with additional complex needs – was named after John’s daughter, Jane Clough, who was killed by her ex-partner in 2010.
– Luke Hart – DA survivor, White Ribbon Ambassador and Refuge champion. Luke will be sharing his own personal experiences of coercive and controlling behaviour after his father murdered his mother and sister in 2016.
– Rachel Horman – Solicitor and Head of the Domestic Abuse, Stalking and Forced Marriage Department at Watson Ramsbottom Ltd. Rachel was personally involved in changing the law to create a criminal offence of coercive control or emotional abuse.
– Jim Strang – President of Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) and champion of the ‘Make a Stand’ initiative. Jim also speaks openly about his own lived experience of domestic abuse at the hands of his father.
– Derek Fredericks – Acorn Academy Manager. Derek’s work involves the creation and development of educational and therapeutic programmes in both the community and prisons. Derek’s main specialism is in addiction, however in recent years this has crossed over to domestic abuse and generic criminality.
– Chris Green OBE – Chris Green brought the White Ribbon Movement to Britain in 2005 by founding White Ribbon UK. He was a member of the Council of Europe Task Force to end violence against women, the Violence Prevention Alliance of the World Health Organization, and the steering group of the Men’s Coalition. Chris was appointed OBE in 2017.
– AFTA Thought – Drama-based training, part of The Calico Group. They have delivered powerful, thought-provoking workshops and training sessions to various clients and industries, including safeguarding work in the Premier League and bespoke domestic abuse sessions for housing providers.
Helen Gauder, Managing Director at SafeNet Domestic Abuse and Support Services, said: “The aim of the Men Speak Out conference is to raise awareness of domestic abuse and the important role that men have in helping to reduce and eliminate it.
“We are offering a platform for men who are actively working to raise awareness and who wish to engage more men in the conversation, inviting them to participate and to encourage others to say no to male violence against women”.
For more information about Men Speak Out, please visit http://safenet.org.uk/menspeakout